When the U.S. army began setting up camp in the area, they discovered a logistical problem.
The shallowness of the bay prevented large transport ships from entering and offloading men and supplies.
This meant soldiers had to be ferried from what is now present day Port Aransas and St. Joseph Island to the bay front
Around mid-day on September 13, 1845 one of these ferries, the steamer “Dayton”, experienced a boiler malfunction.
The boiler burst killing eight soldiers.
In the wake of the accident, General Zachary Taylor obtained a burial site from H. L. Kinney, the founder of Corpus Christi.
The site chosen was located on a hill overlooking the shoreline and the Nueces River.
Col. Hitchcock of the U.S. Army commented on the site chosen, saying it was a beautiful spot, commanding a view of the Nueces and Corpus Christi bays.
Old Bayview Cemetery is also the final resting place of veterans of other conflicts.
Including the War of 1812, the Texas War for Independence, Indian campaigns, and the Civil War.
A marker bearing names of veterans of Taylor’s Army of Occupation can be found at the site.
For more information about this site or Palo Alto Battlefield, contact us at 956-541-2785.
For information about General Taylor’s march to the Rio Grande, enter stop number 602.