In 1846, this area was covered with dense brush in all directions.
A narrow dirt road cut through the trees, crossing the resaca at roughly the same point the modern road does today.
In the mid-twentieth century, the City of Brownsville began to grow up around this site.
Today, key points on the battlefield—to the south and east of this spot——are covered with roads, houses, and businesses.
Only this small portion of the field has survived.
Even this area has not been untouched by change.
Since 1846, the site has had much of the native brush removed.
Also, large numbers of Brazilian pepper trees have invaded the few remaining areas of chaparral.
The land also has been used in a variety of ways, including as an orange orchard and a polo field.