Built in 1952 with funds donated from across the country, the Chapel stands on the highest point of the Academy grounds. Its rich symbolism offers reminders of sacrifices that Coast Guard members have made for their country. The lighthouse beacon installed in the Chapel’s spire continues to serve as a guide to refuge in a safe harbor. Beneath the lantern is the fencing reminiscent of the widow’s walk where, many years ago, the wives of seafaring men paced while anxiously looking seaward. Inscriptions on the marble inside the entrance hall detail the Chapel’s history. Each pew, dedicated in memory of Coast Guardsmen, is made of wood from the same forests from which the first Revenue Cutters were built. A landing below with solid Vermont marble bollards (to which ships tie) signifies the return port. The bronze lamps hung from the ceiling are in the shape of old whale oil lamps. The flags hung high in the Chapel’s vaulted ceiling represent various qualities of humanity. The engraved windows, representing various religious motifs, were given as memorials from the other military branches and private organizations. The lectern is dedicated to the memory of the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Escanaba. On June 10, 1943, the Escanaba was assisting a convoy across the Atlantic when it received a distress call from the U.S.S. Dorchester, which had been struck by a torpedo from a German submarine. The Dorchester carried 800 lives, among which were four chaplains. As the Dorchester was sinking, these chaplains gave up their life jackets and stayed on deck to comfort the crew. The Escanaba responded and miraculously saved over 150 lives. The deaths of the chaplains and crew of the Dorchester shocked the American public and strengthened their resolve to unite against Germany. Three months later, a German submarines sank the Escanaba. One hundred and one members of the crew of 103 lost their lives. Just as the four Navy chaplains courageously gave up their lives, the crew of the Escanaba displayed a selfless service of America.