Hamilton Hall dons Alexander Hamilton’s legacy, one of America’s founding fathers, the first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury and the father of the Coast Guard. Needing to generate funds to support the young nation, to stop smuggling and to collect import duties, Hamilton proposed the establishment of a Revenue Cutter Service in April of 1790. On August 4, 1790, Congress passed Hamilton’s Revenue Cutter Bill, which called for the construction of ten boats. This Revenue Cutter Service grew and acquired a multi-mission role in our nation’s military until merging with the U.S. Life-Saving Service in 1915 to form the U.S. Coast Guard. Hamilton Hall, built in 1932, houses the offices of the Superintendent, Dean of Academics, Director of Diversity, Public Affairs, and other administrative offices. Through the front entrance, the corridor leading to the Henriques Room (pron. Hen-ricks), the Hall of Graduates has the names of every Academy graduate. The Henriques Room was named after Captain John A. Henriques, the first superintendent of the academy. Captain Henriques joined the Merchant Marine in 1841 and enlisted in the Revenue Marine in 1854. Henriques was selected to run the first cadet training ships, the Dobbin and the Chase. He also served as superintendent of the Revenue Cutter
School of Instruction, the forerunner of today’s Academy, until 1883. During the Spanish- America War of 1898, he served on the Woodbury. Captain Henriques died in 1906 and is buried in New London in Cedar Grove Cemetery. Designed originally as the Academy’s library, the Henriques Room is now used for special gatherings and awards ceremonies. Aldis Brown, graduate of Yale School of Fine Arts, working for the U.S. Treasury Art Relief Program during the Great Depression, painted the murals representing Coast Guard history. The cases display museum artifacts.