This building was actually an addition, probably built around 1885, to the much smaller original Clubhouse built in 1881 and that was destroyed by fire in the 1930s. This new addition, as Club members referred to it, expanded the amount of guest rooms from 17 to 47. While there were 14 private cottages, Club rules dictated that all meals were to be eaten in the Clubhouse. This building served as the main gathering place of the Club, which boasted 61 members-Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick, Philander C. Knox, and Andrew Mellon included. The shoreline of the lake would have been near where the grass line meets the road, directly across from the front porch. There would have been a boardwalk to connect the cottages and other Club buildings to the Clubhouse. Behind the Clubhouse, instead of a residential area, there were trees and woods. Legend has it that the Club even had a two-story outhouse somewhere in those woods. One of the most cherished activities of the Club was sitting on the front porch conversing with other Club members and taking in the evening breezes off of the lake. Of course, club members fished and hunted. In addition, members put on plays, swam in the lake, took walks around the lake, had picnics by the spillway, played and listened to music, and they also had a large fleet of sailboats and other watercraft. The summer season typically began in earnest around the middle of June, however there were about five or six Club members and their families at the Club on May 30-31, 1889.