Welcome to the Mount Washington Tavern. This historic tavern was constructed sometime after 1828, and functioned as a tavern until the mid 1850’s
US Highway 40, which passes in front of the tavern, follows the route of the National Road. The National Road was the first federally funded highway. Construction began in 1811. There were almost 300 taverns on the route from Baltimore to Wheeling, serving clientele such as farmers, drovers, and wagoneers. This tavern served high end clientele traveling by stagecoach. Business travelers, bankers, lawyers; those who could afford the more expensive means of transportation, would have stayed at places such as this.
Stage coaches generally stopped every 10-12 miles to change horses. The Mount Washington Tavern stabled horsed for the Good Intent Stage Line, which was located in Uniontown.