17. Hodges Building, 1804 Hewitt Avenue (1923)
Architect: Benjamin Turnbull; Howard S. Wright, contractor
The first story of five is concrete, with storefronts at the north (Hewitt Avenue) facade. Upper stories are faced with white brick and a prominent sheet metal cornice. Prior to its conversion to apartments, city directories indicate tenants such as dentists, chiropractors, watch repair, real estate agents, beauty shops occupied the offices.
Built for $100,000, the building was converted from offices to 35 apartments in the 1940s. It sold in 1958 for $200,000.