Here stood Fort King, the 'King of Forts' in frontier Florida. It was constructed during the summer of 1827 by two companies of soldiers under Captain James M. Glassell. Built of native Long Leaf Pines, it was a typical U.S. Army frontier fort built to 'Keep the Peace' between American pioneers and native American Indians.
Evacuated by the Army in May 1836 while under siege by the Seminoles and subsequently burned to the ground by them, it was reconstructed by the Army a year later in the summer of 1837. Serving as Headquarters of the 'U.S. Army of the South' for the duration of the Second Seminole War, it was decommissioned by the U.S. Government in 1843. It was then utilized by the citizens of Marion County as their first Courthouse. By 1846 it had been dismantled and salvaged by Marion County pioneers for their private homes. Some of its timbers may still exist to this day in Ocala's older homes. It is the intent of the City and County to reconstruct the fort on the exact spot where it stood and as it looked in this 1839 sketch of it.